Fire in the kitchen extract ductwork of the Cafe Oslo on Surinameplein, Amsterdam spread up through the building vertically and also across to neighbouring buildings. Dozens of people had to be evacuated from their apartments.

Firefighters took over 3 hours to control the blaze – partly because they had difficulty finding the route of the fire as it snaked through the building.

A number of people were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation but fortunately there were no more serious injuries.

It’s just a matter of time before a poorly maintained, dirty kitchen extract system causes a major disaster, especially when the duct system passes through ‘sleeping accommodation’ such as apartments or hotels

Sign up to our Newsletter

0 Comments